This policy sets out how we collect, use and manage personal information. We may change this policy from time to time, in which case we will republish it on the Website.
In this policy:
- App means the software application made available by us for use on mobile devices;
- sensitive information is as defined in the Privacy Act 1988, which includes personal information such as information or an opinion about an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, sexual orientation or practices, or criminal record; and health information about an individual;
- we, us and our means, as the context requires, The Babes Project Inc. ABN 62 792 911 264; and
- website means the website which homepage is located at the URL, www.thebabesproject.com.au.
What kinds of personal information do we collect and hold?
- We only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for one or more of our functions or activities.
We collect and hold personal information such as:
- in respect of clients and their babies: name; contact details; date of birth; health and other sensitive information as may be disclosed to us pursuant to clause 4 (e.g. sexual practices and criminal history);
- in respect of those who use our App: name and contact details of registered users, including any relevant social media account information made available by a person registering for the App's services by way of a social media account; and any personal information of a person recorded by the user of the App;
- in respect of staff and volunteers; name; contact details; date of birth; sensitive information such as any criminal history disclosed from a police records check, and "Working With Children Check" credentials, and any health information that may be relevant to the performance of that person's role;
- in respect donors, supporters and sponsors: name; contact details; payment information (including credit card details);
- in respect of service providers: name and contact details of relevant staff;
- generally: name and contact details of people who make inquiries with us, including applicants for employment or volunteer roles; names and contact details of people referred to us such as potential clients referred to us by family, friends, hospitals and other health service operators; and any personal information made available to us through a person interacting with our social media accounts.
How do we collect and hold personal information?
- Where reasonably possible, we will collect personal information directly from the individual or with that person's consent, however this will not always be possible (such as in the case of referrals from third parties). In the case of sensitive information, we will only collect information where the individual has given (or it appears has given) consent to our collecting that information.
We collect and hold personal information in a number of ways including by:
- receiving correspondence (including emails and through our website) and telephone inquiries;
- collecting photographs of clients and their babies;
- collecting the email or physical address of any person who signs up with us to receive email or print communications from us;
- receiving referrals of prospective clients from hospitals and other health service operators;
- our staff and volunteers, where acting for us, collecting personal information through personal interactions;
- conference and event registration forms submitted to us;
- receiving and recording personal information submitted to us through use of our App, including recording health information through the App's functionality;
- collecting analytical data available to us through a person's use of our website or App.
What are the purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information?
- We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the purpose of conducting our operations and providing our services, which include:
our pregnancy support program for clients, which includes:
- engaging with healthcare and supporting agencies on behalf of clients; and
- providing workshops for clients;
- providing our App and the functionality therein for users of the App, and analysing use of our App;
- assessing a prospective client's application to receive our services, and any referral of a prospective client to us;
- in certain circumstances; providing labour support and providing material assistance;
- assessing the performance of our services, such as surveying the progress of former and current clients, and assessing the use of our website and App;
- promoting our services to prospective clients and possible referrers of prospective clients;
- seeking funding support for our services, and communicating to supporters about our work;
- providing programs, conferences and workshops relevant to the sector, such as professional development programs; and
- in the case of potential staff and volunteers, assessing a person's application for employment or engagement.
- our pregnancy support program for clients, which includes:
We may disclose personal information for the above purposes to:
outsourced service providers who assist us in the performance of our operations or delivery of our services, by providing functions such as:
- mailing systems;
- information technology services;
- conference organising;
- other service providers (e.g. our insurers);
- our professional advisers, including auditors.
- outsourced service providers who assist us in the performance of our operations or delivery of our services, by providing functions such as:
We may also use and disclose personal information:
- for purposes reasonably expected by the individual that are related to the above purposes of original collection or, in the case of sensitive information, are directly related to the purposes of original collection;
- for other purposes for which the individual has consented;
- where otherwise authorised or required by law.
Will personal information be disclosed overseas?
- We may disclose personal information to persons be located outside Australia. This may include:
- disclosing personal information to our IT service providers, in the performance of their services, where their servers are located outside Australia (such as solutions provided in the "cloud");
- disclosing contact details of a pregnancy support or health service provider to individuals who make inquiries of us from outside Australia;
- disclosing to a pregnancy support or health service provider not in Australia personal information of an individual who makes inquiries of us for such a provider.
How to contact us about our handling of personal information
- To obtain further information on how we handle personal information, to find out about or update personal information that we hold about a person, or to complain about how we handle personal information, we can be contacted by any of the following:
- Telephone: 1300 140 212
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: PO Box 930, Ringwood, Victoria 3134
- If we receive a complaint about how we collect, hold, use or disclose personal information, we will assign a suitable staff member to co-ordinate the investigation of the complaint and any potential resolution of that complaint. We endeavour to resolve complaints as soon as is reasonably practicable.